Codes of Conduct give everyone a guide to what is expected of us if we are part of an organization, participating in a sport, or as spectators at our child’s events.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, trustworthiness and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character” (Arizona Sports Summit Accord)
U.S. Figure Skating Parents Code of Conduct
I hereby agree that:
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all skaters, coaches and officials at every practice session, competition and test session.
- I will place the emotional and physical well being of my child ahead of my personal desire to win.
- I will encourage my child to skate in a safe and healthy environment.
- I will inform my child’s coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the results of a competitive event.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or blame my child’s teammates for placement in a competition.
- I will do my best to make skating fun and will remember that my child participates in sports for his/her own enjoyment and satisfaction not mine.
- I will ask my child to treat other skaters, coaches, fans, and officials with respect, regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation or ability.
- I will applaud a good effort in both victory and defeat emphasizing the positive accomplishments and learning from the mistakes.
- I will teach my child to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will be a positive role model for my child and other skaters.
- I will demand a figure skating environment for my child that is free of drug or alcohol abuse and agree that I will not use or provide to a third party any drug proscribed by applicable federal, state, or municipal law.
- I will not assist or condone any competing athlete’s use of a drug banned by the International Olympic Committee, International Skating Union, United States Olympic Committee, or U.S. Figure Skating, or, in case of athletes, to use such drugs or refuse to submit to properly conducted drug tests administered by one of these organizations.
- I will not provide alcohol to, or condone the use of alcohol by minors, abuse alcohol in the presence of athlete members, or at U.S. Figure Skating activities or, in the case of athletes, consume alcoholic beverages while a minor.
- I will encourage my child’s coach to continue their education and training through programs offered by U.S. Figure Skating, the Professional Skaters Association and other accredited organizations.
- I will respect my child’s coach and refrain from coaching my child or other skaters during competitions and practices because it may conflict with the coach’s plan or strategies.
- I will respect the decisions of officials and their authority during competitions and test sessions and teach my child to do likewise.
- I will show appreciation and recognize the importance of volunteers and club officials.
- I will study the rules of the U.S. Figure Skating and teach my child accordingly so that we have an understanding and appreciation of the rules of competition and membership.
- I will support all the opponents in my child’s competition and respect the rights of all skaters to participate.